Sandia Baptist Church was founded in 1959 as a mission church of First Baptist Church in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held in early February 1959 for the first building of Sandia Mission. After various delays on building materials, construction got under way and the building was completed in August 1959.
In June 1959 First Baptist Church voted to call Rev. Jack R. DeVore, pastor of First Baptist Church, Las Cruces, to be the Sandia Mission pastor and he accepted the call.
On opening day, Sunday, August 30, 1959, a full schedule of services were held, including an Open House for visitors in the afternoon. At the morning worship service many were turned away for lack of space and it was apparent from the very beginning more space was needed. The Lord's Supper and Baptism (the two Church ordinances) were observed for the first time Sunday, October 4, 1959.
On October 2, 1960 401 resident, 25 non-resident and 6 received on the day of the service totaled 432 charter members of the church. By the fall of 1960 the church voted to build the first unit of an Educational Building and the grand opening was on September 24, 1961.
The first nursery worker for Sandia was Madge Schlegelmilch, and she served until 1966. Eloise Paul came as Preschool Coordinator January 9, 1966 and has faithfully served for 45 years until her retirement in 2011 Diane Nevers now oversees the Preschool Department as Preschool, Children & Koala-ty Kids Director.
The next building phase for Sandia was a new Education and Administration Building. Groudbreaking services were held Sunday, May 22, 1983 for the two-story building. The building was dedicated on March 18, 1984.
January 3, 1993 a fire destroyed the church's auditorium. The church voted that upon rebuilding the auditorium it would be an appropriate time to enlarge the auditorium, add a vestibule, add an east wing for education and add a west wing for music. During the rebuilding of the auditorium, worship services were held in the gymnasium of St. Paul's United Methodist Church (across the street from Sandia). The new auditorium was completed and services held for the first time on Sunday, November 21, 1993.
Six pastors have served Sandia. The staff has grown to include four associate ministers, four office assistants, and numerous ministry staff including preschool, kitchen, custodial, maintenance, nursery, and music personnel.
A new Children's Building was completed in 2001. November 2011
our Students were blessed to move into their new space we call
"The Refinery." Then in May 2012 Sandia was excited to open the
doors of their new fellowship hall meeting area named "The Gathering."
Sandia has birthed four new congregations in the Albuquerque area. Also, Sandia totally funded the construction of a new church building for a sister church in Makarov, Ukraine. An ongoing partnership through the International Mission Board in Cambodia is the current major missions commitment. Many persons have been called into ministry and missions at Sandia and are serving throughout the US and the world today.
Sandia cooperates with the Central Baptist Association, the Baptist Convention of New Mexico and the Southern Baptist Convention.